Mission/History Of The Library
The Oswego Public Library District exists to provide quality library service which will effectively meet the informational, educational, and recreational needs of district residents of all ages, with special emphasis on supplying popular materials, providing reference service, and assisting students of all ages in meeting their educational needs.
history of the library
In 1899 the Nineteenth Century Woman’s Club started with a market basket full of books that was carried to each meeting.
In 1928 the Rank building was donated to the Village and used as the Library.
In 1964 the Oswego Township Library was formed. The whole community worked to raise the $35,000 needed to build on the current site by holding bake sales, broom sales, garden walks, festivals and such.
1970s – 1990s
In 1977 the Oswego Public Library District was created to serve residents of Montgomery, Oswego, Plainfield, and Bristol and Wheatland Townships. Additions were added in 1981 and 1997.
In 2006 a library bond issue was passed for a new library building on Route 30 and the remodel of the Oswego campus. In August of 2009, the Montgomery Campus, located at 1111 Reading Drive opened. The Oswego Campus was renovated and reopened in May, 2010. With the population at 61, 594 the Board of Trustees felt the need to expand in order to meet the needs of our patrons, particularly the Young Adult population which ranges from ages 11-18. In order to meet this need the Board of Trustees approved the expansion/renovation of the Oswego Campus in 2015 including the addition of a second story.